World Asparagus Day Special - Baked Asparagus Risotto
Baked risotto is a delicious alternative to the usual hand-stirred risotto (and a lot easier, too!)
Cook + Prep Time: 1 hour
What You'll Need:
- 3 1/2 cups (875ml) vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
- 1/4 cup (60ml) lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium brown onion (150g), chopped finely
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 1/2 cup (300g) arborio rice
- 170 grams (5½ ounces) asparagus, trimmed, cut into 2.5cm (1-inch) lengths
- 250 grams (8 ounces) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/3 cup (25g) finely grated parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme
What You'll Do:
1. Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F.
2. Bring stock, rind and juice to the boil in medium saucepan. Reduce heat; summer, covered.
3. Meanwhile, heat oil in medium saucepan; cook onion and garlic, stirring, until onion softens. Add rice; stir to coat in onion mixture. Stir in simmering stock mixture. Transfer mixture to shallow large ovenproof dish; cover with foil.
4. Bake risotto for 25 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking. Add asparagus and tomato; bake, uncovered, about 25 minutes or until rice is tender. Season.
5. Remove risotto from oven; sprinkle with cheese and thyme.
Source: The Australian Women's Weekly